Friday, January 11, 2008

Passion and Art

There are fundamental differences between soem art forms, some people think programming is an art, because it's so dependent on how the programmer interprets the problem that he's facing. Supposedly no two programmers should be able to tackle the same problem alike.

From my experience though there is a cookie cutter way to a solution. Something that other people expect.

Maybe ...

Well most programmers have their way of doing things. Their comments, the way they make function calls, and the way the make their variables. Everybody after a while has their own style and signature in coding that its like a finger print.

Maybe that's the art.

After a lot of thought, I found myself disillusioned by programming becuase of my situation in my job. I stay at the same company for years looking at the same code. I watch my other coworker who was a good mac programmer get burnt out enough to not code at all, and that's where I was headed. To coding burn out.

Luckily my boss, gave me something new to look at, and even though I'm not looking at it with the fervor of my youth, it interests me enough that I want to keep working on it.

I'm not sure about programmer burnout but it must be a big thing. Even though there are programmers out there that are passionate, managers tend to work them into the ground. The all nighters like it was in college, the heavy handed deadlines, etc. etc etc.

What can you do though ... but with all things that your passionate about. The passion can fizzle when you find out that thing your passionate about can also make you miserable. The talent you have can be exploited.

Just hope you get what you want out of it fast ... because if you don't you might end up ... lost burnt and up in smoke. And that's when you become a manager ... which is fine ... becuase like a google lawsuit has pointed out ... when your old ... your ideas as a programmer are bad.

Age discrimination.

No comments: